Saturday, November 27, 2010

Module 9

I am very familiar with Scootle as I use it quite extensively in my classroom. It supports all KLAs and can be used in a number of ways. I spend a lot of time searching for appropriate learning objects and saving them to my learning paths. I also find it a great tool for differentiation as you can set different learning objects for different groups of children in the class. I discovered through this module that you can share with people in your school. I had not previously used that tool and I will in future share my learning paths with people at my school.

I enjoyed looking at the Second Life site where you can enter virtual worlds and learn by being immersed into other worlds. However, I believe it is not an appropriate site for primary school children as you must be 18 to use the site or even 13-17 to enter Teen Life.



I understand that twitter and facebook are immensely popular social networking sites among people of all ages, but I am wondering how they relate to primary school education. Many children, even in my Year 4 class, are on facebook and I do often have discussions about the merits of this. I explain that they are supposed to be too young to hold accounts, but some parents have set up accounts for them, or they have used false information. This has lead to some cyber bullying (at a minor level), but we really need to do something to address this issue.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary Anne
    Thank you for helping me navigate through Scootle. What a great resource for teachers! I would love to share your learning paths and you can share mine. I agree with you that there are social networking sites that are not appropriate for primary children and unfortunately cyber bullying is an issue in schools.Before my class begin blogging I will teach them about social etiquette when communicating with others and commenting on others' work. I will remind them of the Acceptable Use Policy and discuss 'publishing'. I do not think any of my Year Three children are using Facebook at home, but it is likely that someone in their family is and they will have had some exposure to a social networking site.

    ReplyDelete